This is our Spanish teacher, Maria. T just loves her and S calls her, "A-ree-ra." She has been coming to our house 5 days a week for 4 hours each day. We each get a 2 hour lesson. (Us grown-ups, not the kids.) It has really helped us improve a lot. Maria calls herself our kids' Tica abuelita (Costa Rican grandma). She only speaks Spanish while she's here. S understands more of what she says every week. Pretty soon she'll probably speak better Spanish than we do. Maria is a retired teacher who has 2 children close to our age and one grandson. She is a lot like my mom in that she loves shoes, purses, and of course, our children. We feel lucky to have found her.
T got a new toy this weekend. He hasn't figured out how to move around in it yet, but it keeps him off the hard tile floors. It's funny that as a health care provider in the U.S. I always discouraged parents from using walkers with their children due to safety hazards. Well, I've been desperate. Since we only moved here with what we could carry in 2 suitcases we haven't had the "comforts" of home like exersaucers, play mats, bouncy chairs, etc. I saw this walker at a local store a few weeks ago for about 13,000 Colones (about $26 US) and thought it was overpriced. The next week we visited some new American friends who have a boy the same age as T and he had a walker and loved it. Well, I still think this walker is overpriced, but is cheaper than buying something with a well-known brand name on craigslist for about $100+. And, since we don't have stairs that he can topple down, I figured it was pretty safe.
I don't think we've posted before about the outrageous prices here in Costa Rica. We bought a Graco pack and play from the PriceSmart (owned by Costco) here for $120 US. The same one at Costco in the US was $50. I looked on the local Craigslist just tonight and there was a used, old, pack and play for $100. I guess we'll get our money back when we decide to move back. :] I've heard that any import to CR is taxed and marked up about 45%. I believe it. I'm starting to make lists about what I want our visitors to bring in their suitcases. So, be prepared if you decide to come visit...
These are random photos, I know. This is the view from our house to the city of Atenas. We love living in the mountains.
This is another view from our house in Atenas.
Two of my favorite people on our daily walk to town. S loves her green "brella."
Our first shopping trip to PriceSmart which is about 30 km away from Atenas. We rented a car this weekend and this was on the top of our list of things to do since any discount on formula, TP, and diapers is better than nothing.
Sweaty S enjoying a ride on one of the local vacas.
This is a funny story. We walked into town on Saturday with the stroller and all. S saw this little yellow chair at a store and really wanted it. I was less than $4 US so we decided to get it for her. She did not want the chair to stay in it's bag or in the stroller. She wanted to carry it herself. Needless to say, she got tired pretty quickly. This wasn't a big deal since she was carrying her own rest area. She's so funny.
We're still enjoying our time here. Living in a foreign land and trying to speak a foreign language definitely has it's challenges. We are all adjusting and feel that we'll be a stronger couple and family because of this experience as long as we all keep working together. That's the plan.
P.S. if you comment on here or on FB, please let us know if there is anything specific you want to know about our adventure. We'd love your input.






Love the update! Keep 'em coming! I want to hear more about what you're learning to cook/what are you eating? :)
ReplyDelete